The Name Game

Now that we know the new baby is a girl, the next question everyone asks is, "What are you going to name her?"  Well, we don't know quite yet.  I have learned that I have an affinity for names that end in "a", so that's where we've been doing most of our speculating, although I'm not totally hung up on that.  I like Marissa or Jenna.  Ry won't let me use Samantha or Cassandra - girls he knew and didn't like.  

It would have been easy if it was a boy.  I was gonna name him Joshua Ryan, and Ry was gonna like it.  See how lovely that would have been?  Why is it harder to name a girl?  I've been joking that we would name her Gertrude, Helga or Bertha, but Becca couldn't figure out why that was funny.  She likes those names. (No offense to those whose gma's bear those lovely names)

The other thing is that I want to use the middle name Jo, if I can.  Becca's name was supposed to be Rebecca Jo, but a 4 a.m. conversation in the hospital resulted in Rebecca Sarah, mostly because Ry was too groggy for me to read.  I learned only days later that he would have been fine with Jo, but, alas, it was too late.  Oh well, we love the name Sarah, and since Brandt married cool aunt Sarah, Becca has decided that she loves her name, and won't let me change it, thank you very much.  

So this time I kinda want to have a name picked out while we are both coherent.  Marissa Jo sounds okay.  Jenna Jo sounds like a hillbilly name.  Last night we joked that we should name her Chiquita Banana.  There's two names that end in "a".  Or we could name her Alaska.  Ry said, "Yeah, that would be great.  When she starts school, the roll will read 'Fairbanks, Alaska."  We giggled for a long time over that one.  Needless to say, we don't want our kid suing for emancipation when she is 6 years old.  So, suggestions are welcome.  This could go on for a while...  :)

Comments

Tara L. said…
I love the name game. When were thinking of names for Lindsay I loved the name Ella. Unfortunately it meant "she" in Portuguese and Pete wouldn't have it. I also like Claira, but it meant "egg whites." So, that is how we ended up with Lindsay. It didn't mean anything weird in Portuguese. But, hey they both end in a. Good Luck. It is a hard thing coming up with names that you both like. Landon didn't have a name til right before we left the hospital.
What about Emma Jo?

I do like Ella too...

Good luck with that.
Anonymous said…
What about Sophia Jo? Isabella Jo? When I was pregnant with Ben, I was scheduled to be induced on May 5...cinco de mayo. If he was a girl I was TOTALLY going to make his middle name be Lupita. That's my mom's nickname AND on Mexican holiday. My MIL was mortified and grateful he turned out to be a boy.
Brooke said…
This is so funny. Ella, Emma, and Isabella are all names on our list...
Those are all cute names. I was also thinking about Hanna, Hanna Jo would be cute. Good luck with the name game.
I just thought of another one. I have a cute niece named Serena. That also ends in an a. I also just thought of Cassandra, Amanda. Or if you are thinking about Alaska, there is also Montana, Alabama, Carolina. Florida, Iowa. o.k. I'l stop now.
Anonymous said…
Hi Kids!

What about Trisha Jo or Neisha Jo? Although I LOVE "Emma" and that connection to Church history, "Emma Jo" reminds me of a person by that name...not so good. My 2c worth. :)
Audra said…
I like Savannah, but can't get my husband to love it...good luck picking!

Popular Posts