Week 27: Six months in!
Here's a couple of paragraphs and some extra pics from Becca's email to me this morning. She thinks she's surprised me with news of her release date, but I already knew about it! We figured it out weeks ago, but I hadn't said anything to her, because we try to avoid talk about when she'lI be coming home, so she can focus on the work. Also, I think it's great that she's taking time to assess where she is mentally and spiritually and then making adjustments accordingly. That's a real sign of maturity, and it's something that we all should do on a regular basis. 💕
My week has been great! I really love being out here. I can't believe it's been six months either. Oh, I keep meaning to tell you. For some sisters, their MTC time doesn't count, so they end up serving for almost 19 months. I have one of those missions. So my "expiration date" ;) is October 15. That's most likely when I will be coming home. But I'm definitely not counting. ;) I'm actually glad I have one of the longer missions. You probably don't want to hear this, but I might have asked for an extension. But now I don't have to! I love being a missionary! (Sorry if I just burst your counting down bubble.)
...It's been a good week. Lots of reevaluating why I came out here and how I can work better. I came to the mission with the expectation (just like every misssionary) that I would be exactly obedient and just a perfect missionary because that was my desire. Wrong! It is really hard work to do everything right and feel like you are being a good missionary. It's hard not to let fears get in my way. And lots of other stuff. So there's been a lot of good pondering and studying in my life lately. I've actually enjoyed this time for growth and I'm definitely not the same person I was six months ago. :)
1 - this is Chris's dog Sasha. He has two dogs and they are the only dogs that I have liked so much. Shedless!
2 - studies
3 - sometimes we journal on the floor
4 - I think my little shoes have about had it, haha
Here's the group email:
Good Morning! :D
It's been a great week! It always is! On Friday was my mark for being six months away from home. Crazy! That means I only have about a year left to work as hard as I can!
On Monday we got to see Nicole again! It had been a bit since we'd seen her because her schedule got crazy but she said we could keep coming back and teaching her. She's so cool. On Tuesday we taught a guy we've been meeting with for a while and helped him set up a baptismal date! He's excited and really likes learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ. On Wednesday we had the mission president's wife come spend the afternoon with us! That was really fun. We also got to have lunch with President and Sister Vest at our favorite food truck in Oneida. It was great to sit and visit with them. They really love all the missionaries that they oversee. Let's see, we had Chinese twice this week, did A LOT of walking, and I sang in church again this week. This time in a quartet, which was really fun! It's been a busy week!
I've been studying about the Atonement of Jesus Christ a lot lately. I've really loved learning more about our Savior and how His sacrifice applies in my life. Sometimes I learn about His Atonement without meaning to. Let me explain. We were meeting with a lady we are good friends with and she was telling us about some pretty heavy, horrible things going on in her life. As I sat there listening, I was pretty overwhelmed. I've never dealt with these kind of situations and I was feeling kind of weighed down, like I had to find the solution or at least some comfort for these problems. No one should have to go through these things and I wish I could take the weight of them from her. As we were walking home I was thinking about it and was reminded that I don't have to carry these alone. She doesn't have to carry them alone, either. She said at some point that maybe this is her "personal atonement" for the bad things she's done in her life. I wanted so badly to help her understand that she doesn't have to pay the price for anything she's done. Christ has already paid it ALL. Every last ounce of our mistakes. Every heartache and sorrow we feel has already been felt by Him. Now this doesn't take away our personal resposibility or completely our pain, but when we remember the Savior, I know that our burdens will feel lighter. I certainly started feeling lighter as I walked and prayed. Never forget that the Savior loves you and is there for you!
Have a great week!!
Sister Fairbanks
1 - walking downtown
2 - making cookies!






Comments