Week 53: General Conference

Every 6 months, members of our church tune in online, on tv, and on the radio to be taught by the Prophet, Apostles, and other leaders of the church.  10 hours total!  It's a lot of sitting and note taking, but we really look forward to this semi-annual feast!  Anyway, there wasn't much to share from Sister Fairbanks's email to me, but during our Monday chat, she told me about the sewage that dripped down from the upstairs neighbor's apartment when the neighbor's toilet overflowed, and then she told me about all the bugs they're getting in their apartment right now... 😳😳😳  Not the kind of stuff a Mom wants to hear !  Here's hoping things start looking up in the apartment department sooner rather than later...



And here is the group email:

Good Morning!

This week was awesome! We had a bunch of great things happen things week. We had zone conference on Thursday and we got to learn a lot from our wonderful mission president. We talked about the difference between testimony and conversion to Christ. Our conversion always starts with a testimony of what you know to be true. For instance, I know that Jesus Christ lives and loves me. Now to be converted -- is what am I going to do with the knowledge that I have? What I am going to do with my life to show Him gratitude? There's a lot more to it, but that was the basic message of the conference. I loved it. 

Then general conference was so amazing! All of the messages we received from the Church leaders were inspired and inspiring. I loved the messages of making our homes sanctuaries of faith and knowing how important it is to make and keep sacred covenants. The covenants we make are so important. I'm grateful for the privilege I've had to receive the ordinances myself and to come on a mission and help others work toward them. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

This week I was studying about progress versus perfection. I was a super perfectionist about a month ago, but I am trying to change that around. Perfection is not required nor possible in this life. We are painfully human and must rely on our Savior. The only thing that is required for us in this life is to live the gospel of Jesus Christ, which includes repenting. Learning this from counseling with my mission president and studying has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I realized that much of the decisions and happenings in my life have been affected by my toxic perfectionism. I've been learning that the Lord doesn't want to put that much pressure on us, just enough so that we will try to be better people. I've found a new favorite scripture this week, Doctrine and Covenants 50:41. "Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth." We don't have to know all things right now or be able to do all things now. We can grow and that's what matters. 

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week! 
Sister Fairbanks 



Comments

Popular Posts