Week 59: Much Better
It was so good to hear Becca sounding like her cheerful self again on Monday. I'm late to post this to the blog, but I think that's because I relaxed so much after talking to her--maybe too much 😂. Anyway, we had a fun visit. I'm so glad to see her gaining these spiritual tools so early in her adult life, tools that I didn't have until I was much older. I pray that that will be an advantage to her in the future.
Here's part of her email to me:
This week was a lot better. No really! Even Monday evening I felt better. I sent a good, long email to President Vest telling him everything (well, the best I could in words) and it was just a good evening...
Tuesday was pretty good. I was even singing while I did my hair that morning. I felt more like myself than I had in a couple of weeks. I was actually happy.
Wednesday was wonderful. I woke up in a good mood, so that's always nice. Hasn't happened in a while. And I got all primped for zone conference. When we got there I had my interview with President Vest first. He hadn't seen my email yet so I told him everything right there. I love that man... He told me that he has dealt with anxiety in the past and still does occasionally. He also talked about there being a difference between sin and weakness, and that one needs repentance while the other needs grace. Blew my mind. He gave me this amazing article to read through the week and then call him with what I learned. It Isn't A Sin to be Weak
It's a great article and I studied it about four times. It's exactly what I needed. He gave me some other counsel and then asked if he could do anything for me. I asked for a blessing. He said of course and gave me one of the most powerful and loving blessings I have ever had. It's hard to even put into words. It got me through the rest of my week and it might get me through the rest of my mission. (not that I won't ask for another blessing if I need one, but it was that powerful.) The Spirit in the room was amazing and I could feel an amazing mix of love from President Vest and love from Heavenly Father. ... It was amazing. Then he said that he has a book that has helped him and he would try to send it to me. I am so so grateful for President Vest. Then zone conference was really, really good. It was a short one, but still with the spiritual uplifting I need about once a transfer.
Wednesday night we found out that Vernon is home from the hospital! So we went to see him on Thursday morning!!! I was SO happy. He was happy to see us too! He immediately asked where "the little one" went (Sis Ham) and he looks so much better. He is doing better than he was months ago. He's walking and talking clearly... Made my week. We were able to have a couple lessons with him and it just made my heart so happy.
...So that was the emotional side of my week. It really was a lot better than last week. It took a lot of prayer, study, prayer, and study, but I kinda feel like I was able to climb out of the hole... Thanks for all the prayers. I could feel them. I didn't ever think when a leader said "we feel your prayers or sustaining" that it was a tangible thing. I've felt it a couple of times on the mission. It's pretty neat. And thanks for the great talk we had last week. It really helped a ton, more than you know.
I can't wait to talk to you today! I love you so much!!
Here are a couple of pics I found on Instagram:
Here's part of her email to me:
This week was a lot better. No really! Even Monday evening I felt better. I sent a good, long email to President Vest telling him everything (well, the best I could in words) and it was just a good evening...
Tuesday was pretty good. I was even singing while I did my hair that morning. I felt more like myself than I had in a couple of weeks. I was actually happy.
Wednesday was wonderful. I woke up in a good mood, so that's always nice. Hasn't happened in a while. And I got all primped for zone conference. When we got there I had my interview with President Vest first. He hadn't seen my email yet so I told him everything right there. I love that man... He told me that he has dealt with anxiety in the past and still does occasionally. He also talked about there being a difference between sin and weakness, and that one needs repentance while the other needs grace. Blew my mind. He gave me this amazing article to read through the week and then call him with what I learned. It Isn't A Sin to be Weak
It's a great article and I studied it about four times. It's exactly what I needed. He gave me some other counsel and then asked if he could do anything for me. I asked for a blessing. He said of course and gave me one of the most powerful and loving blessings I have ever had. It's hard to even put into words. It got me through the rest of my week and it might get me through the rest of my mission. (not that I won't ask for another blessing if I need one, but it was that powerful.) The Spirit in the room was amazing and I could feel an amazing mix of love from President Vest and love from Heavenly Father. ... It was amazing. Then he said that he has a book that has helped him and he would try to send it to me. I am so so grateful for President Vest. Then zone conference was really, really good. It was a short one, but still with the spiritual uplifting I need about once a transfer.
Wednesday night we found out that Vernon is home from the hospital! So we went to see him on Thursday morning!!! I was SO happy. He was happy to see us too! He immediately asked where "the little one" went (Sis Ham) and he looks so much better. He is doing better than he was months ago. He's walking and talking clearly... Made my week. We were able to have a couple lessons with him and it just made my heart so happy.
...So that was the emotional side of my week. It really was a lot better than last week. It took a lot of prayer, study, prayer, and study, but I kinda feel like I was able to climb out of the hole... Thanks for all the prayers. I could feel them. I didn't ever think when a leader said "we feel your prayers or sustaining" that it was a tangible thing. I've felt it a couple of times on the mission. It's pretty neat. And thanks for the great talk we had last week. It really helped a ton, more than you know.
I can't wait to talk to you today! I love you so much!!
Here are a couple of pics I found on Instagram:
And here's the group email:
Good Morning!
This week was pretty good! Not super, but better than last week. :)
On Wednesday we had zone conference in Potsdam and it was wonderful! We got to meet with our mission president and receive some great training from him. We also had personal interviews with him. President Vest is a good, good man and I couldn't have asked for a better mission president, who has become a life-long friend.
Yesterday, spring finally came!! I know I've said that before, but this almost felt like summer! We walked all afternoon and evening and it just made me HAPPY to be in the sunshine. We also had some great lessons this week with the people we are teaching.
I'm so glad that I have the gospel, the scriptures, and the Spirit to rely on when life gets tough. I spent so much time studying and learning and it helped me immensely. It was wonderful to learn and be reminded just how merciful and loving our Heavenly Father is. It's great to know how He will help us through our weaknesses and our trials, whether they come from the inside or the outside. So this learning process will continue, I'm sure. Not everything can just be fixed in one week. But I'm also grateful for the chance to be on a mission while I'm learning these lessons. There is no greater university. And I couldn't have asked for a better family to support and love me.
Hope you all have a good week!
Sister Fairbanks




Comments