...And nothing to show for it!
Okay, so I've been going on and on about our big debut with the family band, right? In fact, that's mostly why I didn't blog last week. I couldn't think well enough to write anything. Wednesday and Thursday I was sick, maybe from stressing, maybe hormones, I'm not sure. Then Friday was upon us. I dragged my fanny out of bed and forced myself to do my hair so I wouldn't embarrass my family too badly that night.
We thought we could get in the high school early in the day and set up and run through our songs a couple of times before the Beatles guys got there. No such luck. We couldn't get in till they got to town about 3:00. So, we had to set up at the same time as the other band. They were super nice guys, too. It takes quite a while to set up sound for a live band, so we didn't have a lot of time for sound check when we were done setting up, which just made me more nervous.
Mom and Bec and I had brought our clothes and everything to the high school with us, so we got changed and ready for the concert up there. My bass had not been staying in tune very well, so I was scared it would sound awful, but Dad tuned it for me right before we went on and it stayed tuned for once! The first song we did was mostly just vocals. I was the only one who had to play and sing at the same time. I didn't hit any sour notes, but my hands were shaking so badly that it was like my pick couldn't reach the strings. So, it sounded like I just dropped out a couple of times, but we survived.
Then came the hardest song for me. It's a Ringo song, and I was so worried about just one part of the song, during dad's guitar solo. It was kind of a bass solo, too. I know that doesn't really make sense, but the point is, I did it! I skipped one note, but no one else ever would have known it. As soon as I got through that part, I just grinned to myself. The rest of the songs went smoothly and I think we sounded awesome.
So, why no pics or video? Well, Ry was running the sound board, so he couldn't do it. We were all so wound up that we didn't think to give a camera to someone else. Mom did set up the video camera before the show, and hit record, but apparently not hard enough. So no video either. That's right - no pictures, no nuthin. How stinky is that? So, we're going to set up at the church one night or something and play together one more time just so we can record the event. So, I'll post stuff then.
We thought we could get in the high school early in the day and set up and run through our songs a couple of times before the Beatles guys got there. No such luck. We couldn't get in till they got to town about 3:00. So, we had to set up at the same time as the other band. They were super nice guys, too. It takes quite a while to set up sound for a live band, so we didn't have a lot of time for sound check when we were done setting up, which just made me more nervous.
Mom and Bec and I had brought our clothes and everything to the high school with us, so we got changed and ready for the concert up there. My bass had not been staying in tune very well, so I was scared it would sound awful, but Dad tuned it for me right before we went on and it stayed tuned for once! The first song we did was mostly just vocals. I was the only one who had to play and sing at the same time. I didn't hit any sour notes, but my hands were shaking so badly that it was like my pick couldn't reach the strings. So, it sounded like I just dropped out a couple of times, but we survived.
Then came the hardest song for me. It's a Ringo song, and I was so worried about just one part of the song, during dad's guitar solo. It was kind of a bass solo, too. I know that doesn't really make sense, but the point is, I did it! I skipped one note, but no one else ever would have known it. As soon as I got through that part, I just grinned to myself. The rest of the songs went smoothly and I think we sounded awesome.
So, why no pics or video? Well, Ry was running the sound board, so he couldn't do it. We were all so wound up that we didn't think to give a camera to someone else. Mom did set up the video camera before the show, and hit record, but apparently not hard enough. So no video either. That's right - no pictures, no nuthin. How stinky is that? So, we're going to set up at the church one night or something and play together one more time just so we can record the event. So, I'll post stuff then.
Comments
if you wanted to do it friday night you could play for everyone while they eat dessert. Let me know what you think! Oh did Ryan talk to you about hosting?
I saw your blog on Janice's blog. Thought I would say hi. You can check us out if you would like ptllemos.blogspot.com