More thoughts on the lonely thing...
You can all see the comments on my last two posts about how many of us seem to be dealing with the same thoughts and problems, and that doesn't count the people who have called me and have come up to me at church and elsewhere to empathize. So, it's been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like I/we should do something... but I have no idea what that would be.
You know, women used to be more dependent on each other. When the men left early in the morning, there was still so much to do every day, that the women in a community had to depend on each other. They did so much for each other and were close because they had to be.
It's amazing that now we are still surrounded by other women in similar circumstances, but we are so separated by thin little walls. Face it, ladies, we live a luxurious life (I know that might sound ironic coming from someone who has only had one kid to chase around thus far, but really we do), and I think all the luxury has ruined the culture a bit. We can now waste a few hours in front of the tube or the net and our whole world doesn't come to a screeching halt. If we didn't plan ahead for dinner, we can open a can of something and zap it for a few minutes. We can spend hours fretting over whether we should call someone or visit someone, only to see that we have wasted another whole day not doing anything about it.
As hopeful as I am now, I'm still not doing too hot when it comes to following through. Changing habits is about as fun as pulling teeth - especially for a stick-in-the-mud like me. It's so ironic that I love people so much and thrive on social interaction, but can't seem to get off my duff and do something about it. But, I'm gonna try. I guess I am busy with family a lot of evenings (not all), but my days are BORING, so that's the time I am trying to fill.
Here are a couple of ideas, anyhow. I go to the temple every Monday for the 11 a.m. session. It works well for me, because it's not too early, and I'm home in plenty of time before school gets out. I don't know how it would work for those with kindergartners, but here's an open invitation for those who can make it.
Also, on September 16th, they are starting a BYU continuing education class (we call it institute, even though it's not really) at the institute building by the Jr. High. It cost about 18-20 buck per semester, and I think it's about the New Testament this time. It's held on Tuesdays at 1 p.m. for those who would like to attend. Bro. Walton teaches it, and I love it. I would love to do something like have a potluck lunch and then go to class after with some other girls.
On top of the organized things we could do together (lunch club? walking group? something like that), I think we as women (especially LDS women) should be bugging each other more. You know what I mean? Remember in high school when your friend felt free to drop by any old time just to say "hi?" Why don't we do that anymore? I know, I know, we have families and other obligations now, but really, don't you just wish someone would swing by to visit now and then? I mean, I always worry about bothering someone, but I guess I would call first anyway, or not get offended when someone is busy. Or maybe if they are busy, they could use some help.
And that's another thing. I know we all pretend we can do it all and would hate to ask for anyone's help, but what if we ask for help just for the sake of being more social? I don't know about you, but when I'm chatting with someone, I can clean like no one's business. It energizes me. So, swing by and chat with me while I clean. I would love that, and would love to return the favor.
Anyway, there's a few thoughts. I really don't want to be the flag-bearer for the cause necessarily, but I would be a willing supporter of any activists.
And by the way, I don't do cliques. I think we are all adults and can mostly put up with each others quirks. People who won't hang out with so-and-so because they're annoying or are too close to someone else not on their friend list are making themselves miserable and deserve to be. Get over it and love those around you - you may just learn a little humility and compassion. It's good for you. Otherwise, stay home. I love people and I won't let you poison my fun. So there. :)
Comments
I am in the same boat since K is in school all day. I have found that I am almost afraid of being at home after I drop K and J off for school...I find ANY excuse to not be at home. I find that I do the same thing....sleep. I have also battled depression and I'm so afraid of depending on sleep to numb the stress and boringness of the days....here's a suggestion-once a week get together with a friend or 2 and do some scrapbooking- Robyn and I do that on Wednesdays. I haul my junk to her house because she babysits (last year she came to my house) and we spent a couple of hours scrapbooking. I thought it was going to be dumb because I am so not creative that way, but it's fun and you can draw from each other's creativity, not to mention share the fun stuff--We've done this for a year and I started in 94when we got married and I'm already to '99! Little piece of advice...do it now or you never will.
You are so much fun and you are a great hostess. I'm glad to see you put this subject out there....the ladies in your area are lucky to have you carrying the flag. I'm thinkin' our ward needs a banner carrier too....I spent almost an hour yesterday as part of a search for an elderly woman in our ward who had been missing since Friday...her paperboy called management at her apartment complex because her papers were piling up and that wasn't normal. She was 81 and had dementia..anyway, no one missed her for 4 days-not even her kids out of town! I don't want to be like that! I don't want you to be like that! We need people to miss us! Step out and make some friends..you may be surprised at where you find them!
Love you!
San