Week 10: Companion Number Three

She sounds so good!!! My heart loved reading statements in her email to me like, “I feel like I am finally learning how to be a missionary,” and “I am getting back to the joyful person I was before!” ❤❤❤. I really don’t have anything to add to what she said in the group email other than a couple of bonus pics she sent me (the second one is with Sister Swallow and a church member at a Memorial Day picnic). Read on!




Hello all! 

This week has been insane, but so good! After Sister Swallow and I had our grand adventures for three-ish days (which included getting little plants to take care of for fun!), my new companion, Sister Rawlinson, arrived! She is wonderful and kind and immediately starting getting my rear in gear for full-fledged missionary work. There is still a lot I don't know about being a missionary, but she knows it all and we'll have fun while doing it. I'm also very excited to be staying in beautiful Liverpool. 

While we did work a ton this week, nothing terribly entertaining happened. So I will share some gospel-y insight. I noticed this morning that today is Day 70 as a missionary. (Holy cow!) That made me think of the story in the New Testament that was shared by Elder Robbins at General Conference where Peter was asking the Savior how many times forgiveness should be given. 

"On one occasion Peter asked the Savior, “Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”

Presumably, Peter thought seven was a sufficiently high number to emphasize the folly of forgiving too many times and that benevolence should have its limits. In response, the Savior essentially told Peter to not even count—to not establish limits on forgiveness.


“Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”


Obviously, the Savior was not establishing an upper limit of 490. That would be analogous to saying that partaking of the sacrament has a limit of 490, and then on the 491st time, a heavenly auditor intercedes and says, “I’m so sorry, but your repentance card just expired—from this point forward, you’re on your own.”


The Lord used the math of seventy times seven as a metaphor of His infinite Atonement, His boundless love, and His limitless grace. “Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.” 

Elder Lynn G. Robbins quoting Matthew 18:21-22

That was one of my favorite things said in this last General Conference and I think of it often. There is no limit to the Savior's willingness to forgive us, as long as we turn to Him. What an incredible gift. 

Have an awesome-possum week everyone! 

Sister Fairbanks

1 - Sister Swallow and our plants :)
2 - Sister Rawlinson! 



Comments

Popular Posts