Easter Trip, etc.

Okay, I was SOOO bad about taking pictures this weekend at Ryan's sister's house. I was having too much fun holding my new niece, Lizzie. She's about a month old now, and the only picture I took was of Becca feeding her. I wish I had been more diligent about pictures. We went out for the purpose of attending the baptism of our niece, Emily, and it was so special. But there were so much going on, I just didn't think about taking pics.

We attended church while we were there, and it was so nice to see the same characters in their ward that we have met in every other ward we have ever been in (more on that some other time). I couldn't stop thinking about our lesson in Relief Society. We were talking about building character, and one sister who had recently been through some incredible trials mentioned that it seems like character building is only accomplished through adversity. I could totally see where she was coming from - we've all had trials that have changed us and helped make us who we are.

Still, something about that statement kept tickling the back of my mind and giving me that feeling that that's not all there is to it. I think it kinda bugged a couple ladies in the class, too, who kept trying to think of examples of when character can be built in the absence of adversity. No one could really think of a good example of that, except the character building that comes from raising kids - which, I guess, could be considered adversity, depending on whether you are cleaning root beer off the walls, or laughing at some 'brilliant' statement
(Ryan: That curly fry is a ringlet, just like your hair. Becca: I did not lick my hair!). So, I wish I had come up with some brilliant insight during class, but all I have are the few things that occurred to me on the way home yesterday.

I think it is maybe a little inaccurate to say that experiencing adversity builds character. I can think of lots of people who have experienced many adverse events in their lives and have not come away any better for the experience. I think maybe the character building only occurs when we choose to exercise faith. It seems that in that moment, we change. As soon as we call upon our Savior and all the things we have been taught, we remember that we are loved and that we will not be tested beyond that which we can handle...we change.


I know, I know - you're thinking that in order to exercise faith, we must face adversity. I don't disagree with that entirely. We all know that there must be opposition in all things and that in many cases we do have to face challenges and trials in order to grow. So, then I'm back to the part that bothered me. Is coming up against opposition the only way to build character? It seemed so negative to me. And how would we continue to progress in the hereafter, when all opposition will be removed? Then it occurred to me that there is definitely one other way to build character. It may be even more effective at building character than overcoming all the trials we will face.

Service. Yup...all those service projects that I loved to avoid because I was sure they fall into the same category as tests and trials could have helped me build more character. That explains so much. I guess one of the adversary's lies is that service is a burden. I am learning very slowly that it's not a burden in any way. Think about this - whatever big trials you have faced in your life, you may be glad for the things you learned by exercising faith, but the experience itself will always be in the adversity category. But after we have served, we would never remember that service as a trial, but a blessing entirely.


Some of the best moments of my life so far are the ones that came about when I was serving from my heart because I wanted to, not just 'cuz I was s'posed to. I wish I could say that these moments were numerous, but if I lie, one of those chunks of ice that fall from jumbo jets will land on me, and that's not how I want to go. I have only been realizing the blessings of service in the last few years, and I'm glad that - barring any ice chunks - I am young enough to still get some serious serving in.

I'm including missionary work in positive character building methods, too, and family history
work...I'm sure there are others.

Wow. Babbling Brooke strikes again. Sorry this is so long-winded.

Well, on the lighter side, the Easter Bunny filled Becca's basket while we were away, thank goodness. You know, it was really nice to not have to deal with that before we went to church on Easter Sunday. I think it made it easier to concentrate on the true reason for Easter. We didn't get home 'til nine, so the bunny was just a blip on the radar for once. We'll have to see if we can use this knowledge next year.

Comments

Oh my heck Becca is so cute- My Taylor is so in love with her, she always enjoys seeing her... Have a good week
What an awesome post. I think you hit it right on the nose. When you talked about being a mom, missionary work, and family history, All Service. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I've been thinking about your post, and I thought about how sacrifice also builds character. Sometimes sacrifice goes along with service, but sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, just another thought.
Brooke said…
Good thought. I thought about that, but couldn't decide if it was service, adversity, a little of both, but it definitely belongs in there.

Popular Posts